Biko with Latik Recipe (Sweet Rice Cake Garnished with Toasted Coconut Milk Bits)


Ta-da! I am here at my family's province of Nueva Vizcaya. My parents' house is located in Barangay Busilac (Nueva Vizcaya) and for people who know my family, also know that my parents' farmland produces saba bananas...well, mostly. I have been here since Saturday (November 10). I arrived in Manila at 2AM and arrived at the house at around 10AM. Yes, it was a long drive but, after 2 years, much has changed and I wanted to see the developments done during my absence. One major thing I noticed is that vehicular traffic is now becoming a problem in the provinces as well.

After finishing up with some family business and seeing old friends, my mom decided we cook Biko (rice cake). She had just bought glutinous rice (malagkit in Filipino) and since we have a supply of niyog (coconut), my mom and I set out to cook Biko with latik (sweet rice cake garnished with toasted coconut milk bits).

It's actually very easy to make. First of all, the glutinous rice should be free of any imperfections and cooked just like regular rice and secondly, your coconut grated, washed (3 times), and strained for its coconut milk to make the toasted coconut milk bits. If you don't have time to wash the coconut shavings for milk, the canned variety will do.

How to Make Biko with Latik

Print Recipe


Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour and 30 minutes

Ingredients:

4 cups Glutinous Rice
6 cups of Coconut Milk
1 cup Brown Sugar
Water

Instructions:

1. Cook glutinous rice like regular rice and set aside.

2. In a wok or frying pan, bring coconut milk to a boil. Lower heat and allow to simmer until coconut milk produces oil and coconut bits. Fry coconut bits until brown. Remove from oil. Set aside.

3. Add brown sugar in coconut oil left in the pan to caramelize. If you have problems with the sugar melting, add water. Mix until sugar is caramelized.

4. Add cooked glutinous rice in caramelized brown sugar and mix well. Glutinous rice will now be a deep brown.

5. Place sweet rice in a 6×8 pan. Spread evenly and garnish with toasted coconut milk bits.

Serves: 20

Nutrition Facts below:



Simple, easy, and sweet. I'm definitely going to cook this for New Year's for good luck to stick. Happy eating!

Pssst...It is a belief that cooking and serving sticky food during the ushering of the New Year will make the good luck that the New Year brings in...STICK. So, PIN this recipe for New Year's!



Recipes you may like:

Simple Oven Toaster
Brownies Recipe

Turon Recipe



Comments

Popular Posts